Compete in-house or on-line!
Saturday, December 11 @10:00 am
- Open to all children in our Junior Achievers (white/yellow belts), Black Belt Champions (orange to purple belts) and Pre-Masters Program (brown belts)
- Choice to compete from home or in-house at the Stittsville dojo. Students are required to have a suitable partner to hold pads. A suitable partner will be someone who can hold striking pads steady for 30 second intervals.
- Medals for all divisions
- Points awarded based on finishing positions to be added to any points accumulated in the Self Defense Technique Tournament and counted towards the 2021 overall awards. Competitors with the most points at each belt level (white belt up to brown belt) will have their names added to the in-house plaques as well as being awarded a trophy. (*Overall standings and sparring tournament doesn’t apply to Little Champions)
- Students will compete in a number of different events, demonstrating different sparring skills. Points will be awarded dependent on finishing position in each event (1st – 5 points; 2nd – 4 points; 3rd – 3 points; 4th – 2 points). The points from each event are combined and finishing positions are based on the cumulative totals.
For students who competed in the Self Defense Tournament, the fee is $10 plus HST. All others, the fee is $25 plus HST
Rules (All belts)
- All competitors must arrange to have someone to act as a partner. A suitable partner will be someone who can hold striking pads steady for 30 second intervals.
- Competitors will have to be available, either in-house or on Zoom when called to demonstrate their technique.
(*All competitors will be given approximate competition times)
- Competitors must be in uniform to compete.
- White and yellow belt students will compete in three events, whereas orange to brown belt competitors will compete in five events. Points will be awarded for the finishing position in each event and finishing position will be based on the combined scores.
Event Description and Videos
Event 1 – All Belt Levels: Speed (Punching)
Students will blast straight punches (jab, cross) for 30 seconds at a focus mitt. Judges will count the number of proper punches. Punches must be straight and fully extended to be counted.
Event 2 – White and Yellow Belts: Speed (Kicking)
Students will blast front snap kicks off of the front leg at waist height on a focus mitt for 30 seconds. Judges will count the number of kicks executed properly. *Competitors foot must touch the mat between each kick
Event 2 – Orange to Brown Belts: Speed (Kicking)
Students will blast roundhouse kicks off of the back leg at waist height on a focus mitt for 30 seconds. Judges will count the number of kicks executed properly. *Competitors foot must touch the mat behind the lead leg between each kick
Event 3 – All Belt Levels: Balance (Kicking)
Students must demonstrate proper roundhouse kicks on a Wavemaster or focus mitts for 30 seconds. The kicking foot must not touch the ground and all kicks must be at least waist height in order to be counted. Kicks must be fully extended and then returned to the 90 degree position before shooting the next kick. If the kicking foot touches the ground, two kicks will be deducted from the total for each touch.
Event 4 – Orange and Green Belts: Movement (Bob and weave)
Competitors will have to have two shoulder height obstacles to demonstrate head movement through the bob and weave technique. Students will start on one side of the two obstacles and perform their bob and weave into the center of the two obstacles and then one more time to the other side of the obstacles. You are technically doing a ‘w’ movement from one side of the obstacles to the other.
Judges will count a point for each direction completed successfully in a 30 second window.
Event 4 – Blue to Brown Belts: Movement with punches (Bob and weave with uppercut/cross)
Competitors will perform the same exercise as event 4 for the orange and green belts but will add an uppercut and cross to the last movement in each direction. If you are moving to the right, at the end of the second bob and weave, you will lead with a left hand uppercut followed by a right hand straight punch. Going to the left, at the end of the second bob and weave, you will lead with a right hand uppercut, followed by a left hand straight punch.
Event 5 – Orange to Brown Belts: Combinations (striking)
Competitors will have perform the assigned combination. Each belt level will have different combinations to perform. *Pad holders will need to practice to familiarize themselves with the combination
Judges will award points for properly executed combinations in a 30 second period.
- You can use your hands, gloves, focus mitts (focus mitts available to purchase at the dojo)
- General rule of thumb is if the student strikes with the right hand, they hit your right hand and left hand strikes to left hand
- Study the combinations and make sure that you are doing them as described in the videos
- Only go as fast as you can while executing the combination correctly
- Descriptions with the videos indicate which side the strike is delivered from, based on a left foot forward guard stance (if you have a right foot lead, everything will be reversed). The description is colour coded – Left side strike in yellow; right side strike in red
Orange Belt Combination
Lead leg front snap kick; jab; cross; rear leg roundhouse kick
Green Belt Combination
Lead leg front snap kick; jab; cross; hook; uppercut; rear leg roundhouse kick
Blue Belt Combination
Lead leg roundhouse kick; cross; hook; cross; rear leg knee; rear leg roundhouse kick
Purple Belt Combination
Skip step lead leg roundhouse kick; cross; hook; cross; rear leg knee; rear leg roundhouse kick
Brown Belt Combination
Jab; cross; hook; bob and weave; hook; rear leg roundhouse kick; cross; bob and weave; cross; skip step lead leg roundhouse kick
Sparring Skills Tournament Results!
White Belt Division
1st – Layla Hasan; 2nd – Daniel Smyth; 3rd – Joshua Stewardson
Yellow Belt Division
1st – William Wesley; 2nd – Ziad Elfarou; 3rd – James Mitchell
Orange Belt Division
1st – Kenta French; 2nd – Malik Ghadie; 3rd – Lily French
Green Belt Division
1st – Kielle Tindall; 2nd – Nathan Parti; 3rd – Logan Oulton
Blue/Purple Belt Division
1st -Leah Oulton; 2nd – Makella Sparling; 3rd – Daniela Ramos-Duque
Brown Belt Division
1st – Pavlos Levetsovitis; 2nd – Pavlos Levetsovitis; 3rd – Keean Ghadie